How to Find Custom Size Doors for Your Home
- Visit Rustica.com
- Look for Inspiration
- Submit Custom Project Form
- Work with a Designer
- Take Measurements
- Decide on Materials
- Choose Finish and Hardware
If you feel like your home is missing a magic ingredient, a custom entry door might be just what you need.
What are Standard Size Doors?When deciding on the purchase of new doors, it’s critical to understand what size doors and doorways you have in your home. Most homes built within the last twenty years or so tend to have a standard door size. These are door sizes that most home manufacturers use and also tend to be the standard size where you can easily find a replacement for entryways, such as a hollow-core door, a glass door, or a screen door for a patio.
Several door sizes are considered standard. A standard door width can range from 30 to 36 inches and standard door height ranges from 80 to 96 inches. If your existing door is outside of that range, you’ll more than likely need a custom size door, and for that, you’ve come to the right place!
How to Find Custom Doors for Your Home
1. Visit Rustica.comWelcome! If you’re reading this, you’re already on our website and we’re so glad you’re here! At Rustica, we specialize in custom size closet doors, custom size barn doors, custom size sliding closet doors, and more. If you need a custom entry door of any kind for any room, we have the team and door options to bring your vision to life.
As you browse through our website, look around for a while. Draw inspiration from our front door options and double door choices, even if you need closet doors. You never know where inspiration might strike for a door style. When working with our team of expert woodworkers, you’ll face no shortage of options when it comes to transforming your space into a one-of-a-kind work of art. Each exterior door or interior door we create is a combined effort of our customers’ vision, the first-class input from our expert team of designers and engineers, and the creative work of our craftsmen and fabricators. Needless to say, it’s a group effort, and we love it!
2. Look for InspirationTo start your journey crafting a custom made door, you should always dive into the creative world of inspiration and idea-making. You may have a hazy idea of what you want for your custom size pocket door. Or maybe you’ve seen a few pictures of a friend’s custom size French doors and it was love at first sight. Whatever the case, spend a while and get a feel for what you want your stunning custom size, six-panel interior doors to look like.
Just as much as Rome wasn’t built in a day, so, too, your vision can’t be brought to life with a haphazard idea and a fuzzy sense of what you want. Custom size French patio doors require forethought, conceptualization, and a clear sense of direction. Look for inspiration and consider creating an idea board.
Where can you draw inspiration for your custom size entry doors? Look around at everything: nature, your friends’ homes, high-end homes, home design accounts on Instagram, dreamy home makeovers on Pinterest—the sky is the limit.
3. Submit Custom Project FormOnce you’re full of inspiration and have an idea of what you’d like for your entry door or other doors, visit our custom project page. This is where you’ll submit your custom project form for your barn door, French door, or any other doors you want created for your home.
This is where it gets exciting! By submitting your order form, you’re almost ready to set our design team loose to start working on your custom size wood doors, custom size bi-fold doors, custom size entry doors, and every creation you can think of. Don’t worry, submitting the order form is just the first step. When you give us your contact information and a description of the door size you want to create (along with any files, such as drawings, measurements, or inspiration boards), we won’t start creating anything just yet.
First, a member of our design team will look over the information you provided. Next, we’ll get in touch with you. Every custom project and wood door is crafted by our team of engineers and designers, who work hand in hand to make sure your vision comes to life. Finally, once we have your approval to start, we’ll craft your custom, one-of-a-kind door! Choose one of many different types of wood for your specially made custom door.
Note: You may not need to complete this step if you find something on our website that you love. We provide hundreds of modifications and customization options for doors on our site, including multiple options for door measurements.
4. Work with a DesignerWhen it comes to creating your custom size entry doors, custom size barn doors, or any type of custom size door, half the fun comes in working with a designer.
Our team of designers is the best around, and we’re proud to show off their incredible work. Our crew has worked to design one-of-a-kind pieces for well-known companies, including RE/MAX and Traeger Grills, to name a couple. Needless to say, we’re proud of our team and we know you’ll love working with them.
Our designers specialize in everything custom—custom size shed doors, custom size metal doors, custom size steel doors—you get the idea. Whether you want to dress up an existing opening, install a new look with a transom, change out an existing door, or exchange that hollow-core door for a wood slab door, we have the team that can make it happen.
During this part of the process, we’ll dial in on the style, vibe, customizations, and small details you want to include in your custom creation. This is where we pick your brain before crafting a door we know you’ll love.
5. Take MeasurementsOur design team is amazing, and while we can walk you through how to take measurements, we (unfortunately) can’t do it for you. You could live in remote Alaska, while our office is firmly planted in Utah. But don’t despair! We can help you every step of the way. Taking measurements for your entry door opening or interior door opening might sound daunting, but once you know how to do it, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do this sooner.
To measure for a doorway, first, measure the height. This is the space from the sill to the underside of the frame that trims the top of your door. Next is the width. Measure the space from the interior of one side frame to the interior of the other frame. It’s a good idea to measure the width for the top, middle, and bottom to make sure your opening is even. If it isn’t, you should go with the shortest width measurement to ensure the door fits properly.
That’s all there is to it! But, if you have questions, our team is just one phone call away and can stay on the line with you while you measure your space.
6. Decide on MaterialsIn addition to deciding on the overall look and vibe of your custom door, you’ll also get to choose what materials you want.
The sky is the limit when it comes to materials that can be used to craft your custom-sized door. When you work with our design team, you can choose between the type of wood or metal you’d like used.
Some of the most popular options for wood species include cedar, oak, and, for an especially bold statement, walnut. When deciding on which option you desire, one question we’ll ask is whether you’ll want the final product painted or stained. Though any wood can be painted, some species have such incredible beauty that we’ll recommend a stain. A few species can be painted and still have the grain pattern and knots show through, though, adding a unique beauty to your custom size door.
7. Choose Finish and HardwareAfter you’ve chosen the wood or metal for the door, you’ll need to decide on a finish. At Rustica, we know that the finish contributes tremendously to the overall look and feel of your custom-sized door. That’s why we offer 41 different finish types, not including custom finishes that can be created during the process of making your one-of-a-kind custom-sized door.
If you want the natural wood to shine, we suggest a stain. Go with a clear stain if you want to see the wood as-is, a dark walnut stain for a bold look, or a red mahogany stain for an elegant or sophisticated look. We also offer numerous colors of paint, from a classic barn red and cooling seaside blue to a subtle straw yellow and a bold navy blue. If you don’t see the type of stain or color you’d like, we’d be more than happy to work with you and create a custom finish for your custom door. Need some inspiration for your custom sized front door? Check out our guide on how to choose a front door color.
The final step for designing your custom-sized door is to choose the door hardware. Hardware includes items such as a front and back handle, hinges, a hanger system for custom size sliding barn doors, and the finish that goes along with these items. Each piece of door hardware can be customized and made to match your door in terms of texture and finish. You don’t want to forget about this step! It’s often the smallest parts of a big project that tie it all together.
Admire Your New Custom Size DoorThat’s all there is to it! Creating a door from scratch can be a lot of fun when you have the Rustica team's expertise to make sure your vision is executed perfectly. When you take the time to create a clear vision, work with an expert designer, tailor everything from the wood species to the final finish, and choose your hardware, you’ll have a door like none other.
All that’s left is to enjoy the home you live in and the custom door that perfectly complements the architectural style and décor choices you’ve worked so hard to show off.