The Ultimate Guide to Custom Doors - Everything You Need to Know About Custom DoorsIf you are looking for a special way to finish off your home's look while staying true to your style, a custom door may be just what you need. Mix and match materials, designs, and hardware to create a door that makes a statement and is a true piece of art.
6 Reasons to Choose a Custom Door
- High Quality
- Fits Your Style
- Last Longer
- Makes a Statement
- Custom Sizes
Shop Popular Custom Doors
- Custom Barn Doors
- Custom Front Entry Doors
- Custom French Doors
- Custom Dutch Doors
- Custom Pocket Doors
- Custom Interior Doors
- Custom Metal Doors
- Custom Barn Door Hardware
What is a Custom Door?A custom door can be made in a variety of styles, elements, and materials that meet your unique specifications. Installing a custom door can completely transform the look and feel of your space, enhancing your home’s existing design.
Custom doors can be used in all areas of your home, both inside and out. The design that you choose is a true embodiment of your creativity and helps give your space a sophisticated look found in luxury homes.
6 Reasons to Choose a Custom DoorSome homeowners might hesitate at the idea of choosing a custom door rather than simply taking one from the rack at their local home improvement store. However, doors are one of those special home investments that can last for decades, and it’s important to make the right decision. There are many benefits of designing your own unique custom door.
1. High-Quality Custom DoorsCustom doors are made exactly the way you want them from the very best materials. Whether you want a solid core or a hollow core, a custom door is a high-quality option that will give you the features and style that complement your home's design. In addition to high-quality materials, a custom-made door will have a level of craftsmanship that far surpasses prefabricated doors. Many are handcrafted and include detailed custom work and millwork that perfectly enhance the overall look of your space.
2. A Custom Door Brings Out Your Unique StyleWith custom doors, you get to select each and every element of the design. From door material and glass style to security features and hardware, you are 100% in control of your custom door design. This means you can create something that truly matches your personal style. Whether you want a solid wood door, a door with a transom, or a unique barn door, you can create a custom door that uses all of your favorite design elements.
3. Longevity – Custom Doors Last LongerWhen you purchase a generic, prefabricated door, it may not last very long. However, custom doors are made with expert craftsmanship and the highest quality materials. The level of skill and care that goes into making a custom door means that it will last a very long time, often decades longer than the budget doors you'll find at your local home improvement store.
4. A Custom Door Makes a StatementA custom door is literally a piece of functional art. It lets you make a statement about who you are and how you feel about your home. It’s a sign of love and respect for your family and the guests you welcome into your home. When you choose a custom entry door you are carefully crafting the first impression visitors make about your home and your family. Meanwhile, custom interior doors tell the story of your personal style.
5. Do You Need a Custom Door Size?Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of designing a custom door is that the door can be created to the exact specifications you need. This is important for several reasons. If you are replacing an existing door, a custom door allows you to use the existing door jamb, no matter the dimensions. Additionally, a custom-sized door can reduce the amount of work required for installation and eliminates the need to cut or modify a door that doesn’t fit.
6. Custom Doors Can Increase Energy EfficiencyInstalling custom doors also helps improve efficiency. Custom doors are crafted using high-quality materials designed to provide superior insulation. And since it fits the door jamb perfectly, it eliminates drafts, further enhancing efficiency. This makes custom doors a perfect choice for entry doors, exterior doors, and garage doors.
Types of Custom DoorsYou can design a custom door for every room in your home. However, it's important to remember that certain door styles work better for specific purposes.
Custom Entry DoorsFor an entry door, you want a door that’s durable and secure. Options for custom entry doors include both single and double doors. For added curb appeal, you can also integrate sidelites and a transom.
Custom Interior DoorsInterior doors have many uses and don’t need to be as secure as exterior doors. This means that you can use a greater variety of materials—including more glass. If you need to close a room but don’t have room for the door to swing, pocket doors may be just the option you need. If you want the ability to partition a room or creatively close off your closet, a barn door with sliding door hardware can add a beautiful visual element to your space.
Custom Patio DoorsThe way you move between your home and your patio can have a direct impact on your home's overall design. A custom patio door should be both secure and durable while appearing aesthetically pleasing. One popular option is to install custom French doors. You may also enjoy the rustic charm that custom Dutch doors provide.
Custom ShuttersCustom doors may also be used in unconventional ways, such as custom shutters. This is a visually appealing and interesting way to cover your windows and hide your TV or bookshelves. The right custom shutters will help make an artistic statement that completely changes the overall feel of your living space.
Custom Door MaterialsSelecting the materials of your door is a key step in the customization process. Many different materials are available to create a custom door that provides the functionality you need while complementing your style and the artistic elements of your home.
WoodWood is an excellent option for both interior and exterior doors, as well as the entry door. A custom door made of genuine, high-quality lumber looks much better than metal and fiberglass. Solid wood provides a high level of security and excellent insulation. Choosing a wood such as mahogany or oak is advisable for exterior doors as they are especially durable and hold up exceptionally well to the natural elements.
MetalThick gauge metals can also be used for custom doors. Steel doors often used for the exterior, but they are susceptible to rust when exposed to the elements. When metal is used with interior doors, it adds an industrial feel to the space. Additionally, metal doors can withstand heavy traffic and also provide security.
GlassMany interior and exterior doors use glass in some capacity. Different types of glass can be used to adjust the privacy level as well as to manipulate how sunlight enters the room. For example, clear glass does not limit visibility and invites natural light into a room, while frosted glass provides a level of privacy and lets in subdued, diffused light. Keep in mind that glass is not the most secure option for entry doors. When glass is used with interior doors it gives the space a modern, clean look.
Repurposed MaterialsWith a custom door drafted according to your specifications, you could even use repurposed materials. This means that if you are sentimental about the door you are replacing or you have some reclaimed wood on hand, it may be possible for you to integrate its material into your new custom door. This is true for both wood and metal. Repurposed materials are often best suited for interior doors where the elements won't diminish its longevity.
FiberglassWhile fiberglass is an option for a custom door, it is often more difficult to shape and customize, especially compared to a material like wood. Additionally, most fiberglass doors are prefabricated, making it difficult to find one in a custom size.
Custom Door FAQsThe use of custom doors is a growing trend among interior designers and remodelers. Here are some of the most common questions homeowners have about custom doors.
How much does a custom wood door cost?Rustica custom wood doors start around $1,000 and go up from there, depending on your desired specifications. It’s important to note that exterior doors will cost more than interior doors simply due to the different woods and treatments required to provide security and protect against the elements.
Can doors be cut to a custom size?Most doors can be cut down to size. The amount they can be trimmed down, however, depends on whether you have a solid core or a hollow core door. Doors with a solid core can be cut to size fairly easily. Hollow core doors are much more difficult to cut since they are not typically designed to be customized.
What part of the door can be cut?Most doors have a block outer frame that allows the door to be trimmed down. Cutting a solid core door is relatively easy. However, when it comes to hollow core doors, you want to proceed with caution. Cutting the door too far or cutting into the hollow core of the door can compromise the structural integrity of the door.
It’s always advisable to start by cutting the bottom of the door before moving to the top or the sides.