Top 10 Patio Design Ideas
- Beautiful Patio Doors
- Fire Pits and Fireplaces
- Outdoor Furniture
- Grilling and Outdoor Kitchens
- Cabanas and Gazebos
- Outdoor Bar
10 Patio Design Ideas to Create an Outdoor Oasis
1. Beautiful Patio DoorsPatio doors will be the first thing you see when entering or exiting your backyard space. Because of this, they add dramatically to the overall aesthetics, beauty, and sense of calm serenity you want to create. The right door can put you in the right frame of mind and mood when heading outdoors to enjoy your backyard patio design.
The types of doors you can choose are as vast as the number of patio design ideas themselves. If you’re working with small patio design ideas, you might want to go with single Dutch doors or glass doors to create the feeling of a larger space. If you have a big backyard, then you should consider installing double exterior doors that match the style of your outdoor space and capitalize on the large area.
If you’re designing your patio for the first time or remodeling it, look at the patio doors as your starting point for changing or updating your patio design ideas.
2. Fire Pits and FireplacesOne thing you’re bound to want with a modern patio design is a fire pit or fireplace. Each of these elements has its benefits, and what you choose largely comes down to how you’re planning to use your patio space.
An outdoor patio design centered around small family and friend get-togethers in the evening would benefit from a fire pit. This becomes the central area where everyone gathers after dinner for drinks, talking, laughter, and memory-making.
If, however, your patio design focuses on entertaining larger groups, then a fireplace might be more fitting. Rather than a fire pit that everyone gathers around, a fireplace becomes a focal point and part of the general decor. With the right fireplace screen doors, you can also discourage little guests and outdoor critters from getting into something they shouldn’t.
3. PlantsPlants are a natural go-to when looking at backyard patio ideas and ways to spruce up your current space. If you’re not ready to remodel or redesign, you might be surprised by how much impact well-placed potted plants can have on your outdoor patio.
Greenery contributes to a lush, serene environment that everyone enjoys. The best thing about choosing plants for your patio idea is that they can be designed to fit a small patio, as well as a large patio. Well-placed greenery can dramatically boost the look and feel of a concrete patio or small deck space, increasing the likelihood you’ll spend more time soaking up the outdoor living atmosphere.
4. Shade/CoveringsIf your outdoor space is exposed to the sun, it’s going to be difficult to enjoy time outside during the hot summer months. You could have the most luxurious patio furniture or the best outdoor kitchen, but if you feel like you’re going to melt in the afternoon sun, your beautiful space won’t see any use.
This is where backyard shades and coverings come into play. A partially or fully covered patio is essential for homes where the summer sun is particularly intense. While trees can provide some shade, you should consider covered patio ideas that provide guaranteed shade no matter the time of day.
You might consider shading a designated seating area, an outdoor kitchen, or a gazebo area that gets a lot of traffic. As a general rule, whether you’re talking small patio ideas or large outdoor patio ideas, keep a designated area shaded to provide space away from the sun no matter what time of day you have friends or family over.
5. LightingMany homeowners forget about the importance of lighting when thinking through patio ideas, but landscape lighting is an important part of patio design. This is especially true if you plan on hosting evening events in your backyard space.
As soon as the sun dips, patio lights can automatically click on. However, most homes are equipped with basic backyard lighting, such as floodlights. While these may be beneficial for warding off a stray animal or intruder, they aren’t conducive to backyard parties or highlighting your well-thought-out garden design.
Patios and the surrounding landscape need lighting designed to provide a brightened environment without blinding guests. Landscape lighting can be used to highlight various features of your backyard, keeping darker areas well lit, and provide an environment that is inviting and elegant. If you’re planning on hosting outdoor evening events and you’re gone through the work of choosing the right outdoor furniture for your patio space, picked an outdoor fireplace, and equipped your outdoor kitchen, then it’s time to get the lighting figured out too.
Lighting is especially important for an outdoor living space that contains raised pathways crafted from concrete steps, tile, brick or concrete pavers, and patio stones. You’ll also want to light up unique elements if you have a stone garden design, a backyard design with unusual elements, or a retaining wall.
6. RugsRugs are one of the most popular patio decor ideas since they lend a cozy, home-like quality to any backyard patio space. When choosing an outdoor rug, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, if you plan to position it around your seating area, you’ll want to make sure the size is appropriate for the space. Some homeowners prefer an oversized rug that all of the furniture can fit on. Others choose a rug that fits the middle space between wicker chairs to set a coffee table on.
There is no strict right or wrong way to do it, but if you need help figuring out the right look for your space, you might want to consult a designer to plan out your patio furniture and rug spacing.
You’ll also want to choose a rug that is easily cleanable, stain-resistant, and fade-resistant. Many rugs made for outdoor use are formatted to last as long as possible, despite being in the sun and weather year-round.
7. Outdoor FurnitureOutdoor furniture is critical for completing a modern patio design. This is true whether your space is a large, sprawling area or a small space with just enough room for a loveseat.
Patio furniture comes in a wide array of design styles. The benefit of this is that you can choose from options like wicker furniture, modern furniture, the latest modern designs.
A few things to keep in mind when choosing furniture include matching it with your current home decor, choosing the appropriate furniture for your climate, and picking options that are resistant to staining and fading. Furniture receives a lot of use and abuse, so you’ll want to choose furniture pieces that are as durable as they are stylish.
8. Grilling and Outdoor KitchensHomeowners who love to grill or entertain in their backyard should seriously consider setting up a grilling station or outdoor kitchen area that allows them to design a living space centered around outdoor dining.
There are many options to choose from when working on a landscape design that incorporates a grill station or outdoor kitchen. The features you decide to include come down to your specific needs.
For example, are you solely focused on grilling? Then you’ll want the focus of your outdoor space to be a grill station with a patio cover to keep you shaded while you cook. Do you want the ability to make anything of your choosing? Create an outdoor kitchen with a grill or pizza oven to really “wow” guests. You might even consider incorporating an eating area in the space so guests can watch you cook or eat bar-style as you serve up your creations. If you’re already planning on cooking outside, an outdoor dining space is a natural tie-in that will complete your outdoor patio design.
9. Cabanas and GazebosCabanas and gazebos have a natural charm that is perfect for backyard designs where you plan on entertaining guests. For especially large patio spaces, cabanas can be an ideal way to create a covered section away from the sun while providing designated areas for reclining, lounging, and relaxing. The benefit of cabanas is that they can easily be moved, enabling you to rearrange your backyard space just how you want it.
Gazebos are typically permanent and fixed structures that form a focal point or feature of your backyard. Many gazebos serve as an area to cool off and get out of the sun while enjoying the trailing plants and flowers that adorn them. Gazebos can also be stationed around your grill or kitchen area, set up over an outdoor bar, or simply be positioned at the highest point in the backyard to provide a luxurious space to relax and recline while enjoying company.