6 Reasons to Add a Specialty Door to Your Home
- Match Your Unique Style
- Offer Custom Functionality
- Enhance Curb Appeal
- Provide Visual Interest
- Streamline Use of Space
- Improve Efficiency
For instance, specialty doors can be the perfect option for letting in more natural light, dividing your space, or adding visual interest. You can find several types of specialty doors and custom doors online including, barn doors, dutch doors, pocket doors, bi-folding porch doors, accordion doors, large front exterior doors with sidelights and transoms, garage doors, etc.
Depending on the type of specialty door you need, you may need professional help installing it, especially if it’s a complex project that requires making space in an existing wall to accommodate it. Sometimes though, it can be as simple as measuring your door frame and installing specialty door hardware to hang a new door slab. Either way, you can find the perfect fit with the many unique solutions available.
6 Reasons to Add a Specialty Door to Your HomeIf you’re tired of your plain interior doors or your boring front entry door, you should consider a custom specialty door. You don’t have to look far to find many specialty options that match the style and function you want. Specialty doors and hardware can easily take your home’s look to the next level. Here are just a few of the reasons to consider adding a specialty door to your home.
1. Match Your Unique StyleYour home is a reflection of your personality. With the specialty doors available, you’re sure to find one that matches your unique style. Specialty doors come in many different materials including wood, glass, and stainless steel. It’s as simple as picking the material that works best for your space and the style of door that you want.
It’s important to note that while picking your door slab, you should also consider the specialty door knobs that will be required. For example, pocket doors require inset door knobs so that the door can close flush into the wall, whereas with a barn door you have the option of selecting a more ornate specialty door knob.
While there are many different types of specialty doors available, one style, in particular, that is growing in popularity is the barn door. Barn doors are versatile in their look. They align with many different styles and have many options available for doors and hardware.
Go with something more traditional, such as a wheel and rail, or opt for something more unique and artistic to match your exact style. Installation is relatively painless as long as you have enough clearance from the ceiling. You’d be surprised how it can give your room an entirely new look.
2. Offer Custom FunctionalityYou’re bound to find a specialty door system you love with the many styles to choose from. Glass doors are some of the most popular specialty doors given that they allow natural light to flood the space. This makes them a good option for patio doors.
Double doors are another popular type of specialty door that provides extra functionality. Whether you are looking for an office door solution, want to close off your family room, or want a unique closet door, double doors are a viable option.
What makes double doors a good option for a specialty door is that they can operate in different ways depending on the specialty door hinges you select. You can pick hinges that allow double doors to operate like traditional French doors, or you can use a rail system and have the doors slide apart from each other. You can also opt for a bypass rail that allows the doors to pass in front of one another. The option that is best for you depends on your style and physical space.
3. Enhance Curb AppealSpecialty doors can be installed anywhere in your home, including your exteriors. Installing specialty doors as your front entry door can help enhance your home’s curb appeal. This is important for all homeowners given that curb appeal can help increase your property value. When it comes to picking a specialty door for the exterior of your home, you always want to make sure it can be securely locked. If you opt for a more ornate specialty door handle, you can always install a deadbolt for additional security.
One of the most popular specialty doors to enhance curb appeal include custom garage doors. These doors can help give your home a sense of luxury and can be designed to fit with your home’s aesthetic. Like other specialty doors, custom garage doors come in several different materials, including both wood and stainless steel.
Another popular option for specialty doors are front entry doors with sidelights and transoms. The windows in the sidelights and transoms let natural light into the home and use frosted or textured glass for privacy.
4. Provide Visual InterestWhen it comes to interior design, a statement wall is often used as the focal point of a room. Choosing a specialty door can also provide a point of visual interest without the need of a custom paint job or wallpaper. Unique doors can simultaneously provide the focal point of the room and improve the functionality. The door slab itself can be dramatic, such as reclaimed wood, chalkboard, patterned, scrap metal, leather, or even mirror panels. Even if you select a simple door, you can still provide visual interest with modern barn door hardware.
Barn doors, in particular, are ideal specialty doors to provide a focal point in a room. This is because the hardware comes in a variety of different styles and finishes that help pull the room together.
Specialty doors don’t have to be doors though. Another creative way to add visual interest in a room is to use specialty doors as shutters. These shutters can be used to cover windows, bookshelves, or entertainment centers. Using specialty doors, like barn doors, as shutters can provide the functionality of having a door in the space, even if there isn’t an actual doorway.
5. Streamline Use of Your SpaceArchitects throughout the country are opting for a more modern, open floor plan. Unfortunately, this type of floor plan doesn’t afford you much privacy. This is where specialty doors can come in handy.
Specialty doors such as French doors or biparting barn doors can help you strike a happy balance between keeping space open while maintaining privacy. This is because specialty doors give you a wider door frame than a traditional door, allowing for more space.
Simply closing the doors can help you divide your space and get the privacy you desire. If a solid double door will close off your space too much, select a specialty door with glass options. You can then select specialty glass door inserts that are clear, textured, or frosted. Clear glass inserts will help divide your space while still maintaining an “open” feeling, while textured and frosted glass inserts will help natural light enter the space while giving you a bit more privacy.
Even if you don’t have an open floor plan, specialty doors can help you streamline the use of your existing space. For instance, rather than having an open dining room that connects to your living room, specialty doors can help you create a clear separation between the two rooms, even if you opt for clear glass inserts. Using specialty doors can also make your space appear more organized and tidy (such as when you use barn door shutters over entertainment centers, bookshelves, etc.). In other words, specialty doors help you make your space work for you, rather than you working around your space.
6. Improve EfficiencyEfficiency is often a major concern for homeowners when it comes to making design changes, and rightfully so with rising energy costs. While there are a variety of options out there, when it comes to interior doors, solid wood doors are a great option.
One of the biggest benefits of using solid wood doors for your interior doors is that they have soundproofing qualities and are less prone to damage. Additionally, solid wood interior doors are relatively low maintenance.
When it comes to exterior doors, fiberglass or insulated wood doors tend to be more efficient and lower maintenance than using a solid wood door. Essentially, the type of specialty door you pick will vary depending on where it will be installed in your home.
Specialty doors that work in your home may not be suitable options for commercial doors.
Commercial doors are often heavier and designed for more usage. This doesn’t mean that commercial doors are completely off the table for your home. You simply need to decide what you are hoping to achieve with your specialty door and find the right option that helps make it a reality. While a glass garage door may help a restaurant transform into an open-air restaurant during the summer, a set of French doors may be a better option to open your living space into your backyard.
Finding the Perfect Specialty DoorIt was once difficult to find a specialty door that was right for your space. With companies like Rustica though, anything is possible.
Rustica works with local craftsmen who use their expertise to create high-quality doors for your home. Whether you’re looking for a unique barn door, a new front entry door, or a custom door, Rustica has a variety of options to choose from.
Our doors can be customized to fit your exact needs with unique hardware and specialty door locks. Can’t find what you’re looking for on our website? Get in touch! We’d love to help you find the perfect specialty door for your home.